Even with the tremendous strides being made in the medical and surgical fields, nosocomial infections continued to be a significant drain on human and economic resources producing human suffering and higher health-care costs. One aspect of preventing these nosocomial infections in health care facilities is the effective reprocessing and sterilization of medical devices. The provision of well controlled and validated sterilization processes will have far reaching effects.
- It will reduce preventive and presumptive antibiotic use
- Prevents Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
- Reduce the morbidity and mortality due to hospital acquired infections
- Limit the use of chemical disinfectants
- Improve the overall quality of patient care
- Reduce the higher health care cost
- Control the use of single use medical devices - a major ecological factor in the increased amount ofchemical waste
Malabar Institute of Medical Sciences Ltd. has arranged CSSD according to the recommendations of HTM (Health Technical Memorandum) 2010, 2030 UK and Association of Sterile Supply Administrators, BS EN ISO 17665: 2006 ANSI/ AAMI ST 41:2008, ST 79: 2006 /A2: 2009, USA
Design of ASTER MIMS CSSD
The department is divided in to fourzones as the work consists of four main processes:
- Zone I : Reception, inspection, and decontamination (removal of bio-burden)
- Zone II : Assembly and packing
- Zone III : Sterilizing
- Zone IV : Storage and distribution
Validation of sterilization
- Validation of sterilization in ASTER MIMS CSSD consists of seven sets of activities:
- Equipment installation and Planned Preventive Maintenance (PPM): Daily, Weekly, Half yearly and Yearly with revalidation.
- Daily B/D (Bowie and Dick) tests.
- Biological confirmation of sterility.
- Computerized Monitoring.
- Physical parameters documentation – Manual Monitoring.
- PCD (Process Challenge Device)
- Review of all process control IQ - Installation Qualification, OQ - Operational Qualification and
- PQ -Performance Qualification by Senior Manger,Technical.
The academic and other activities
ASTER MIMS as a part of its mission extends its service to society through:
Sterilization Technology Course
ASTER MIMSCSSD has prepared a comprehensive syllabus for Sterilization Technology Course.To create a knowledgeable, capable and dedicated generation with solid scientific understanding and educational preparation
ASTER MIMS Consultants for the Advancements of Medical Instrumentation
Specializes in design and builds central sterilization units
- Expertise in Sterilization Technology
- Gap Analysis and Recommendation
- Introduction of Processing Recommendations
- New Build or Refurbishment
- Cost Effective Solution
- Full Regulatory Compliance